Sunday, July 22
SHADOWS AND STRONGHOLDS: SOUNDTRACK AND NOTES
1. THE HOUSE YOU LIVE IN - Gordon Lightfoot
The hero,Brunin, a child at the start of the novel, is taken into the household of Joscelin de Dinan. The lyrics are Joscelin's philosophy on life.
2. THUNDER ROAD - BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
Above mentioned Joscelin's relationship with his wife. The lyrics strongly link to the way their relationship started.
3. HOW YOU REMIND ME - Nickelback
The relationship of Brunin's parents, seen particularly from his father's viewpoint.
4. IN A BIG COUNTRY - Big Country
Brunin and Joscelin come to know each other as squire and lord. Joscelin sets about building Brunin's confidence and developing his potential.
5. EXPRESSO LOVE - Dire Straits
Brunin is captivated by Marion's feminine wiles.
6. DANGER ZONE - Kenny Loggins
Brunin discovers how close to the edge he can get while learning to fight. 'You never say hello to you until you get it on a red light overload.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58QOBqAWNzE
7. HERO - Chad Kroeger & Josey Scott
Brunin has the talent but is holding back from using it.
8. FEEL - Robbie Williams
Brunin is wary of letting himself go even though he has settled into life with his new family. The lyrics from this song are just spot on for his character.
9. THE PROMISED LAND - Bruce Springsteen
Brunin coming into his own. He's going to do or die.
10. DEEP, DEEP OCEAN - Belinda Carlisle
Hawise's feelings about Brunin
11. NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN - The Moody Blues
The main love song from Shadows and Strongholds. Brunin and Hawise's wedding night.
12. I'M STILL STANDING - Elton John
Brunin's relationship with his grandmother
13. THROUGH THE BARRICADES - Spandau Ballet
The troubled relationship between Brunin's parents
14. THE WEAVER'S ANSWER - Family
The death of Brunin's father. Memories and regrets.
15.CHINA GIRL - David Bowie
Marion's relationship with Ernalt de Lyslehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMiY_ekrPSk
16. BLOOD BROTHERS - Iron Maiden
Warfare, the struggle for land and livelihood. The patterns of the past repeating
17. LIVING ON A PRAYER - Bon Jovi
Not the driving rock version, but the slow one. Brunin and Hawise on the verge of losing everything.
18. COVER ME - Bruce Springsteen
And if things were bad before, now the struggle really begins to bite amid personal tragedy.
19. PROTECT AND SURVIVE - Runrig
Joscelin reflects on what has happened and the futility of warhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLvaZPdPYg4
20. ROAD TO YOUR SOUL - All About Eve
Joscelin and Sybilla come to a refreshed understanding of each otherhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg31JfqZHaQ
21.IF I SHOULD FALL BEHIND - Faith Hill
More of Joscelin and Sybilla, but from Sybilla's viewpoint. A proud woman who has to find a different sort of pride now.
22. GIRL - Tori Amos
Marion's state of mind
23. WEAK - Skunk Ananse
Marion again, same as 22
24. STAY - Shakespeare's Sister
Marion finally deals with Ernalt and then makes her own irrevocable decision
25. SECRET SMILE - Semi Sonic
The relationship between Brunin and Hawise as he recovers from his wounds and recent traumas. He's aching and he needs her.
26. TIMES LIKE THESE - Foofighters
Brunin finally comes into his own. 'I'm a new day rising, I'm a brand new sky to hang the stars upon tonight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhzmNRtIp8k
27. IT'S MY LIFE - Bon Jovi
I couldnt decide between this and Times Like These as the final song, so I used them both!